The Ever Clear story!

Did I ever tell you the Everclear story??? It's why
I never drank that much again, EVER in my life! You
see I just bought my first car, a nice 1972 Chevy
4-door Impala with big V-8 engine, a real gas hog.

Well I made my last $100.00 cash payment on it, that I
had been paying on it for months and my wife was
pregnant with Danielle and was staying in San Jose at
mom's house. Basically my room. However,
I was working an Construction job remodeling a house
up in Grass Valley....that the year I discovered the
Yuba River. I was 18 years old at the time and it was
a Friday night.

I just got paid $300.00 dollars in cash and wanted to
drive 3 & 1/2 hours home for the weekend. But first
it was my friend's Birthday and I thought it would be
rude to just up and leave. So I told him I'd stop by
his house in Nevada City for a short visit and then
get on the road home.

Well the weather was turning nasty and it looked like
rain. I went to the party and there was girls and
drugs, and booze and music and I was having a good
time & almost forgot that I was going to drive home.

So anyway, Some guy walks in with a bottle & says look
at this label! this can't be sold in California! I
said let me see, and grab the bottle for a quick look
then proceeded to jug it down. Only I ain't never did
have no Everclear before in my body and it went down
like fire, no more like gasoline!

My insides went whoa, what's this stuff you trying to
put in here? we don't like it and we don't want it.
that's about when I was still chuggin and my body said
enough and repulsed it back up the same way it was
going down and it began shooting & burning out my
nose.

Well hell, I was instantly drunk. I fell down.
I can't remember what happened next. But I didn't
feel good and I remember someone saying you have to
drink that stuff with a chaser. Hell I could not even
speak, let alone drink a chaser. I felt like someone
poured gas in my mouth and if I lit a joint up, I'd
burst in flames.

well to make a long story short. I remember I wanted
to go home.

Someone said it was raining pretty hard outside and it
was dark, pitch dark in the mountains with trees and
the middle of Winter to boot.

However I was 18 years old, Superman and could do
anything but leap tall building. Drive, sure I could
do that, why even in my state of confusion...1 joint
for the road to get that after taste out of my mouth
and I know I would be good to go. Hell no one would
be out on a night like this and so there would be no
traffic either, I figured.

Only I didn't really know where I was, or how to get
to the freeway from this house in the mountains.

So this guy who was leaving the party on a motorcycle
said I could follow him, and he'd show me how to get
to Hwy 20 and from there I was on my own. Hell I
figured GREAT, I'm feelin good now, so let's rip on
out of here even if it feels like someone turned on
the shower full blast outside and I'm totally drenched
wet trying to go 10 feet to my car.

Ah, yes...my car. first one I ever owned and I was
going to drive home and probably make it to San Jose
about 3am in the morning. that was nothing!

So I drove down this driveway following behind a
motorcycle that I can barely see, and I think he
turned left? yeah, he did. No problem. I'll follow
him. Sure is black outside. Guess I'll put on some
music, Neil Young's "Southern Man" yeah, that's the
ticket! Nice and loud and where did the hell that
motorcycle go? Did he just make a right turn???

AHHHHHH! There's no road ahead!??? dead end! I see
trees! better just swerve around the corner like the
bike must have done, and whoa nelly! Pine needles and
wet pavement is like black ice on the road and I think
I am sliding around and up an embankment right for
this very big tree and my windshield wipers are going
very slowly. Why the whole world is in bullet time. 
Wow, a Matrix experience and I think I'm gonna die
now.

Tavis I don't know how I got back to my friend's
house, but I woke up looking through an American Flag
that someone must have threw over me as a blanket, all
I could hear was what sounded like a bat? a bat was
in the coffin with me and I am dead. Nah, it must
have just been a dream. A bad dream. And then I
lifted my head up and BANG! I saw stars! I hit my
head on the low rafters of the attic, which is where
they must have brought me after I totally wrecked my
car and the WAS a bat flying around up there.

This is why I never drank Everclear again in
his life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fight Club vs Bike Club!

Doing Laundry on a Boat

More Adventures, A Father's Day to Remember!