Old Russian River Memories

Old Russian River Memories 

Before I planned out my vacation this year, I had a fond memory of when I was little, maybe 6 years old going to Russian River and thought I'd like to go there while driving on my vacation. 

So I wrote my sister Rossah about where exactly did we used to go on the Russian River and got my brother Drew involved in some answers to my past memories. My brother Joel threw in his 2 cents last. Here are the Exchanges of e-mails. . . 

Rossah wrote: 
I am really wrackingmy grey cells trying to help you. Something tells me its off Bohemian Highway on River Blvd. The resort was on the other side of theRiver from the Main street that ran through town. What I am trying to say is that if you went down to the "Beach", the cottages were on the opposite side, you would be looking across at them but still not be able to see them from the beach. It could have been Villa Rio, or Highland Dell Resort. 
These sound familiar, but when I look at the photos, they don't look like the cabins. I don't want to ruin your trek to find your missing childhood memories, but I have a bad feeling they don't exist anymore or they have been bought and completely remodeled.I found some cabins online that were built in the early 1900's but have been restored (by gay people) that could have been them. Hope you find the place. ~Rossah 

http://www.sonomacountyfreepress.com/bohos/bohofact.html 
I think Colin Powell is a present member. I'm sure through Dad's many acquaintances in SF, he was able to get an invitation for membership or for work there. 

I remember asking Mom about it and she told me "It was a bunch of guys Dad knows that get together and dress up in women's clothes." 

It was such a far fetched answer that I had to dismiss it immediately as the kind of answer you get when you are young and adult's don't want you to know. Funny thing searching on Russian River, there was a rental vacation there named "Grandma's Place". 

Wouldn't it be incredible..... I'm not sure where those tapes are of Dad. Perhaps they are in the storage unit you keep for me. Seems like my entire past is locked up there. I just know I don't have them here as I took very little with me when I moved to Vegas. ~Rossah 

David wrote: But Rossah, I seem to remember the little cabin we used to stay in, smelling dad cooking bacon in the morning and a rather large Redwood tree stump just outside that we could climb up into. 

Rossah wrote: Yeah, it was me sneakin' a cig at the redwood stump, what of it? You tell, and I'll thump you good. 
Rossah wrote: You are so demanding! Here's the link that will tell you everything:http://www.gayrussianriver.com/ And I remember, Joel “Pepe” Raymond became Rich & Famous at 8 years old because of hiswork at the San Francisco Tea Gardens. Ironically, he was also misunderstood and got a lickin' for it as well. 
He told me personally that tourists threw their money away at the bridge and it was a cryin' shame there was no one with the job of cleaning that mess up. He made it his personal mission to keep it clean and coin free. It always amazes me how tourists want to come toascenic town and discard their trash. Joel “Pepe” Raymond grasped this at a young age and should have a bronze statue of him naked somewhere in Golden Gate Park. ~Ross 

My Brother Drew then said: 
Paula and I have many memories of Russian River, and of course, Monte Rio and Guerneville. Dad had either bought or leased a cottage, from grandma Zimmer's, a fattish gray haired woman who lived the summer's(if you remember her from oldphoto's),in Guerneville, to be nearer his place of employment: 
The Bohemian Grove. 
It was an exclusive Men's Club of some sortand I thinkthe members would usually put on skits or plays, where people would sit on redwood logs, in a kind of amphitheater in the woods. Dad worked there as a bartender and made huge tips. 

I believe my baby book has a photo of me and my godparents holding me,at the amphitheatersite. How Dad managed to secure a position there is beyond me, but I do know he had stated he made more money there on weekends, than he did on his fledgling business; painting-contracting back in SF. 


Mother, her youngest brother (our uncle Lenios), Paula and I, would spend weeks on end at Russian River and especially during the summer. I believe that the job afforded Dad many opportunities (business and social), thathe may have never had. 

From it he purchased the apartment building (before marrying mother), and thatwe (Paula, Joel, and I),knew as home before 1949, when we moved to 629 9th Avenue.He alsohada shop/office nearby, on the same street,to work from andstore his equipment needed to do business. 

It also stored many things he accumulated duringhis life's experiences, like a kayak, outrigger canoe, a collection of smokingpipes, and golfing equipment. Curious? 

As a Filipino, he was looked on as a black man back then, and would have experienced many set backs if not for that employment at the Grove. But, that job may have opened up doors for him, as old family photo's show him and mother hobnobbing with the upper crust at parties and functions. 

He did well enough to allow our mother domestic help around the house; a seamstress, and a closet full of fur coats, and the ability to support our aunts and uncles with manyextras and monetaryfunds of support,in southern California. 

The cottage I remember, wasn't something that waselaborate. It was justa wooden structure with no insulation and light bulbs hanging from wires of roof tresses. But backthen, people didn't seem to mind not having amenities as they do today. The little house had a few rooms and a latticed fenced deck, where Paula and I often played when we were toddlers. 

I think I learned to dog paddle there at the Riverbefore I learned to walk. In later years, after Dad left the Grove,we would go to Monte Rio and stay at a motelas a family, to vacation and enjoy the small town offerings.And, enjoythe peace and quiet that was found there along the River. 

If memory serves me right, we usuallywentaround the 4th of July. It was breath taking and abeautiful place clusteredin the woods; viewingthe surrounding mountains dense with trees,and filled with all sorts offun! 

Yes, I remember too wellthe scorching hot rocks and sands of the beach, our anguished criesand the sounds of our manycomplaints that fell on the deaf ears, as our sandaled clad parentsforced us downto a place nearer the rivers edge, where our cries died off. I remember also, the timesJoel and I took you guys(our younger siblings), outfor canoe rides on the river, ortubing in old rubber autotiretubes,or wading inandswimming the strong currents, without much parental oversight. 


Maybe they were secretly hoping to lose a few of us on those trips? I understand from Paula, that the place had turned into a haven for those who have chosen an alternate lifestyle, and has become a gathering place for those who want to hook up with others of like same interests. 
Too bad! It was very beautiful there and back then, when we went, very much family oriented. Enjoy your venture and avert your eyes! 

Rossah replied: 
Hey Drew, This is such great info to have bits and details of ourpersonal childhood experiences.The reasonI lean to think Dad was a member of Bohemian Grove was because he scheduled our vacation at the same time they had their two week retreat in July every year. 

Here's the other: I went with Dad more than two or three times to the Grove. I saw him on many job sites, but I never saw him bring any paint, ladders, tools, job related items that lead me to believe he ever worked there. 

Perhaps I wasonly with him when he dropped off invoices or picked upwork orders--and he could have even been doing bartending or other types of work he was able to do instead of painting. 

I recall the many parties Mom and Dad gave as well as the expensive gifts Dad gave away at Christmas. I can confirm he was a member of the Filipino Businessmen's Assn and can even remember that photo of the dinner you attend. It hung somewhere in the house that I saw often. 

The other incident you mentionedcould be before my time, but I think it was either Irene Coates or maybe even Lily, Adelina's niece who babysat. I could be wrong but they were regulars. We had one other black housekeeper but I can't remember her name. 

I also have a few photos of Mom and Dad out at a club in the city she gave me. They came in paper frames, probably bought by Dad from the resident photographer at the club. The place was Sinaloa because it's printed on the front cover. They both have big smiles, Mom is wearing a fur and a gardenia, and Dad is dressed to the 9's. Maybe it was their anniversary? (If I can ever retrieve my storage in Santa Cruz, I'll have to scan these photos and send them to everyone.) 
I also remember that there were a lot of law suits against Dad mid-50's to our move to Santa Clara. My godfather Roy Arcellano was his accountant. One big suit was that huge building on the corner of Golden Gate Ave. The Union was always on his butt and I'm sure you remember the many times the phone would ring and we would answer it, call for Dad, only to have him tell us to tell them he wasn't there.We alwaysreplied, "My Dad said he's not here." 

Then Drew wrote: 
I don't believe that Dad was a member of that society at the "Grove," but he did work there, that's a given. And, working there, he may easily have made contacts with thosewho would be able to assist him in a lot of area's in his life, including business. It mayalso have been that he was sought outbecause he was well connected with the Philippine Consulate there in SanFrancisco, andmay have beenapproached on that basis to make introductions? 

He alsoentertained at our house on 9th Avenue, giving diners and hosting parties frequently, with high ranked Filipinoofficials and military people in attendance there. 

He did seem to know people and had many friends of note in government positions, backin the 1940's and early 50's, and was one who loved tolavish and doteon those around him. He was apparentlya big spender and liked to leave bigimpressions! 

I remember that there was manya time whenPaula, Joel, and I werebeing baby sat by someone,while Mom and Dad went with friends of his,nightclubbing in Sin City, near Chinatown. They would be decked out in tux's and gowns looking like a million dollars!Maybe this wasbusiness related,because I seem to rememberhe needed both an attorney and accountant to oversee things. 

But something changed in the mid 1950's that caused a downhill slide for Dad, in which he never recovered the same status. Not sure what happened, but business and friends departed just as fast as they came when he was on top of his game. 

Did you know that Dad was voted or awarded an honor and a diner for being a businesspioneer in breaking down walls of color, by the Filipino Businessmen's Association in 1961 or 1962? 

I was with him at the ceremony ina restaurant in Chinatown when he was honored. I didn't think much of it at the time, as it was foreign to my thinking, of making racial inroads. To me it was a freemeal and a lot of talk that I only half listened to about Dad's achievements. Dumb me! 

Then Joel says: 
OK, Ya'lls on drugs all of you, Dad was a Mason then and the Garden was owned by the grand master of his lodge in SF Dad and I had the talk long ago when I asked him about the masons. 

I joined the masons right after mom and dad moved to the house off of El Camino near the Winchester house. He told me then that the masons had helped him in many ways back then, and that he was fortunate to be part of a lodge that was pretty well connected and bi-cultural. . . . . 
man, I sure do like the spin you guys put on it though! 

Then I: "David English" (wildstarconsulting@yahoo.com) wrote: Wow Drew! 

That's more information than I ever knew, and Rossah gave me a link to check out. As for the "Gays", I will avert my eyes. I'm sure Teresa will turn beat red, as she embarrasses easy.

I was wondering what Rossah was hinting at, regarding the Secret Society that dad might have been in, now I know! Thanks guys! 

I picked up several maps, but I'm sure it will be a drive through rather than an over night stay there. Might try an see Kyla too. 

Now after thinking about all this makes me wonder about when we got dad to sit down and tape recorded him about his story of growing up and coming to America. 

How I remember laughing out loud when he talked about the little monkey bites he got. You ALL remember that story, don't you? 

Bohemian Grove Fact Sheet 
What is the Bohemian Grove? The Bohemian Grove is a 2700 acre redwood forest, located in Monte Rio, CA. It contains accommodation for 2000 people to "camp" in luxury. It is owned by the Bohemian Club. 

What is the Bohemian Club? The Bohemian Club is a private. all male club, which is headquartered in the Bohemian building in San Francisco. It was formed in 1872 by men who sought shelter from the frontier culture (or lack of culture). 
Who are the present members? 

The Club has evolved into an association of rich and powerful men, mostly of this country (there are similar organizations in other countries). Some artists are allowed to join (often at reduced rates), because of their social status and entertainment value. The membership list has included every Republican U.S. president (as well as some Democrats) since 1923, many cabinet officials, and director; & CEO's of large corporations, including major financial institutions. 

What industries are represented among the members? Major military contractors, oil companies, banks (including the Federal Reserve), utilities (including nuclear power), and national media (broadcast and print) have high-ranking officials as club members or guests. Many members are, or have been, on the board of directors of several of these corporations. You should note that most of the above industries depend heavily on a relationship with government for their profitability. 

The members stay in different camps at the Grove, which have varying status levels. Members & frequent guests of the most prestigious camp (Mandalay) include: Henry Kissinger, George Shultz, S. D. Bechtel, Jr., Thomas Watson Jr. (IBM), Phillip Hawley (B of A), William Casey (CIA). and Ralph Bailey (Dupont). George Bush resides in a less prestigious camp (Hillbillies) with A. W. Clausen (World Bank), Walter Cronkite, and William F. Buckley. 

What activities take place at the grove? The grove is the site of a two week retreat every July (as well as other smaller get-togethers throughout the year). At these retreats, the members commune with nature in a truly original way. 

They drink heavily from morning through the night, bask in their freedom to urinate on the redwoods, and perform pagan rituals (including the "Cremation of Care", in which the members wearing red-hooded robes, cremate a coffin effigy of "Dull Care" at the base of a 40 foot owl altar). Some (20%) engage in homosexual activity (but few of them support gay rights or AIDS research). They watch (and participate in) plays and comedy shows in which women are portrayed by male actors. 

Although women are not allowed in the Grove, members often leave at night to enjoy the company of the many prostitutes who come from around the world for this event. Is any of this hard to believe? 

Employees of the Grove have said that no verbal description can accurately portray the bizarre behavior of the Grove's inhabitants. 
Besides this type of merriment. the annual gathering serves as an informational clearing house for the elite. The most powerful men in the country do their "networking" here, despite the Grove's motto "weaving spiders come not here" (don't do business in the Grove). 

At these gatherings men representing the government, military -industrial, and financial sectors meet and make major policy decisions. 

The Manhattan project, which produced the first atomic bombs, was conceived at the Grove in 1942. Other decisions made at the Grove include who our presidential candidates will be. There are speeches, known as "Lakeside Talks", wherein high-ranking officials disseminate information which is not available to the public-at-large. 

What are the topics of discussion at the Lakeside Talks? 
What's not right about this? When powerful people work together, they become even more powerful. 

The Grove membership is wealthy, and becoming more so, while the middle class is steadily becoming poorer. This close-knit group determines whether prices rise or fall (by their control of the banking system, money supply, and markets), and they make money whichever way markets fluctuate. They determine what our rights are and which laws have effect, by appointing judges. 

They decide who our highest officials shall be by consensus among themselves, and then selling candidates to us via the media which they own. Important issues and facts are omitted from discussion in the press, or slanted to suit their goals, but they are discussed frankly at the Grove. 

Is there true democracy when so much power is concentrated in so few hands? Is there any real difference between the public and private sectors when cabinet members come from the boardrooms of large corporations? Is the spending of billions on weapons, which are by consensus no longer needed, really the will of the people? Or is it the will of General Electric, General Dynamics, and the other weapons contractors represented at the Grove? 

What can I do to make a difference? Educate yourself about the Grove and it's inhabitants, and the true nature of the power structure in the world. Then educate your friends. Since most major newspapers and broadcast stations are owned by "insiders", be wary of everything you hear in the press. If you can, participate in protest activities during the July retreat. 

How do I get more information about the Grove? Send a note to: Bohemian Grove Action Network, P.O. Box 296, Occidental CA 95465. A $5 donation to cover printing and mailing costs is requested

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fight Club vs Bike Club!

Doing Laundry on a Boat

More Adventures, A Father's Day to Remember!